Saturday, June 26, 2010

A bad day at golf and a good day in the shop

The forecast called for a chance of scattered showers today and only a 40% chance of that at least until about 3 PM. "A good day for golfing at Bushwood," I thought. What a day for the meteorologists to be wrong.

Yes, it's actually named after the course in the movie 'Caddy Shack'. They even have a gopher as their logo right above the entrance to the clubhouse. I haven't seen any greenskeepers that look like Bill Murray, but I guess that doesn't prove that they don't have one somewhere waiting with a sack of C4 to go 'varmint hunting'.

To make a long story short (or am I shooting myself in the foot here? This is a blog after all!). We got to the 3rd hole before it really started raining. I mean a steady rain like Vancouver or Seattle experiences for 3-6 months of the year. We actually ended up calling it quits after 9 holes (and 3 lost balls). We couldn't even see the ball once it got above the horizon.

2 hot coffees later, a fresh change of clothes and watching some of the news coverage of the protests in downtown Toronto (bad coverage at that) found me back in the shop continuing my work on the drawers.

I cut the slots and grooves into the pieces and sanded all the boards down today and assembled the first drawer body. The glue up went pretty straight forward and I even managed to get it square and on plane. I attribute that partially to the skills I've developed and partially to the shooting board that helped ensure square edges before cutting the grooves.

I couldn't really do much more as I have developed tendinitis in my right shoulder and reaching across the bench started to hurt. My doctor prescribed some anti-inflammatories, but I should have also been resting the shoulder. I'm just too stubborn that way.

As promised, here is a picture of the shooting board that I made yesterday. It is made from 3/4" birch plywood for the work surface, 1/4" plywood for the plane to ride on and bamboo for the fence. It really works quite well and I look forward to using it again.

They say that a bad day at golf beats a good day at work, but I have to say that this saying also applies to woodworking. I'm torn however as to which is better. A bad day at golf or a bad day in the shop. Is there such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I will answer any questions in the comments section, so be sure to check back!